Friday, October 4, 2013

Opal



I love opals. I think it is the surprise of the color flash and the way the colors seem to dance within the stone. Over the years I have picked up many beautiful pieces of carved and shaped opal, opal beads and some Australian opal rough. Opal is the birthstone for the month of October. 



This necklace was made with a piece of boulder opal. I used other gemstones and 14 karat gold beads to accent the rich greens, blues and pinks of the color veins. The cabochon is wrapped with delica beads, 2.5mm peridot and 3mm adventurine.



 These opal chips are beautiful by themselves, and very fragile. I used silver lined purple size 11 seed beads as space beads.


This rose was carved out of Australian opal.  I am still trying to figure out how to wrap it without breaking it. I would like to use it as a focal point since it is about an inch and a half long.

No comments:

Post a Comment