Saturday, November 29, 2014

Hikuri


Last month I entered a competition sponsored by Perles & Co. The challenge was to create a piece inspired by the beadwork of the Huichol people, following the theme of peyote and using peyote stitch. My piece ended up being a cell phone case. I had been making an amulet bag, but somehow it was a lot bigger than I had planned. The finalists were chosen the other day, and mine was not selected. I was very impressed with a few of the pieces; I liked the three-dimensional cactus designs and the I thought the deer was fantastic. You can view the finalists at the contest page.
While searching the images of traditional Huichol beadwork I came across an amazing collection, the recent work of Kali Arulpragasam. Titled "Gold Diggers," the beadwork is made in collaboration with the Huichol or Wixarika people to raise awareness of the problems they face in the 21st century. You can read more about it here.





No comments:

Post a Comment