Saturday, October 31, 2015

Beadwork Reader Challenge


In every issue of Beadwork magazine there is a Reader Challenge. The idea is of the feature is that one editor and three readers all receive the same supplies, and have a month or so to create a piece of jewelry from them. The finished piece is then published along with the other designs. The package I received was from Artbeads, one of my favorite places to shop online. The materials included Swarovski pearls and bicones and some lovely size 8 seed beads in a mix with the enchanting name Seabreeze. There was also a 24 gauge wire mix in the same Seabreeze palette, a heavier gauge sea foam color wire, some titanium silver colored wire and Zamba wire. The last item in the package was four 12 mm round fancy silver rings.

At first I was excited to take part. Then I tried to make something. Wow. The people who are able to design on command have my respect. It isn't easy. I gathered all the beads I had in matching colors, and still nothing. I fell back on flowers, because they are always pretty. Before I knew it, I had enough for a necklace, so I went for it. The wire isn't my favorite thing, but I used it hang my flowers from strands of beads strung on Zamba wire. The end result was a three strand piece in which I used most of the beads supplied (my goal) and even bought more to finish it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment