Saturday, October 31, 2015

Red and Grey


The October challenge for OTTBS was red and grey, with a twist to use squares.
The colors red, especially paired with grey is tough for me, but I kept seeing the  beads and trying to work with them. The result was a lot of false starts and lack of ideas but after many days I managed to work my tiles into a beaded pendant. I attached it to the chain I had made, and realized I used almost every shape but squares in the necklace! Oh well.
With the rest of the pieces I made, the leaves and flowers, I decided to try bead embroidery. I have only tried once before, and that was on the bead backing they sell. I used to do regular embroidery when I was young, and I like using the hoop to keep the fabric tight. I used a thick piece of denim, and sewed my pieces down. I still haven't been able to force myself to glue anything down, it seems like such a permanent thing and I don't want to commit good gemstones to a piece I am learning on. I used a marble bead to get the feel for how to work around a cabochon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment